Monday, November 30, 2009

"Not Really That Satisfying"

This past Thanksgiving weekend my family and I joined several of our friends for a sledding expedition. We went to this HUGE sledding hill and observed several wild and crazy teenagers careening out of control and then wiping out spectacularly at the bottom. Of course my children were quite excited to take their turn at all this fun and even trudged up this mountain without complaining. I accompanied them to the top expecting them to change their minds once they saw it from a different angle (lord knows I had my doubts about the sanity of all those zipping towards the bottom). Certainly they could foresee the same broken bones, back injuries and miscellaneous other aches and pains that I did? AS IF!! After observing several people ahead of them rocket towards the bottom, my two did what appeared to be some kind of cliff diving maneuver and threw themselves down this hill at full speed, otter-style, without a sled! I had visions of Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when he greases up his sled and goes for miles, finally ending up in the Walmart parking lot.

I briefly heard my mother say "Just because everyone is jumping off a bridge, doesn't mean you have to do it too." Then I threw myself down the hill, otter-style. Fortunately, this otter has plenty of padding and landed at the bottom uninjured.

When we had all gathered at the bottom I asked the boys what they thought of the sledding hill. Connor said it was "pretty cool." Austin, ever the enthusiast of the family, said, "I really didn't find it that satisfying." Somehow, this didn't stop him from trekking up that hill and careening down again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment