Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just A Sliver

I have never understood those parents who let their children sleep with them until they're practically teenagers.  I know better than to judge, but as I lay there last night with a small creature draped across my face I had to wonder at how they maintain any sanity whatsoever.  My husband and I have a king size bed.....and I love it.  Most nights I can sprawl around like a lizard sunning on a rock.  Of course, then there are the nights where the dog is on my feet....or my husband has taken up more than his fair share of room.  And lets not forget the nights that one of the smallish creatures (1) had a nightmare (2) couldn't fall asleep (3) didn't feel good, etc., etc., etc. and crawl in for a snuggle.  P.S. I love snuggling with my babies.

Last night poor little Noah was coughing.  For the record, he's been attempting to convince us co-sleeping is a good idea for a few months now (sometimes he's more successful than others depending on how tired we are).  So I pulled him into bed and he snuggled his little butt right up to me.  I'm pretty sure I looked at the clock at least every 15 minutes or so for several hours.  At one point, as I was laying on a small sliver of my side of the bed I thought, "this is ridiculous, he weighs 25 pounds and he's taking up 75% of the bed!  And he didn't even pay for any of it!"  So I shoved him over towards his dad.  He slept there for awhile before he got restless and started to crawl all over his dad, who by the way does not tolerate interruption of his sleep very well.  This went on for about 10 minutes or so before dad said, "that's it....back to your bed." He went back to sleep in his bed.....for about 30 minutes.  Needless to say, I didn't have too much trouble getting up and going to the gym this morning and I won't have too much trouble taking a nap later when Noah does either!

2 comments:

  1. I am firm in the belief that I will NOT allow my children to sleep in my bed. This morning I woke up with me curled around my Uncle's Pit Bull that stayed with us last night, and Brad pinned flat to the middle of the bed and windy and D stretched out on the other half of the bed beyond Brad. I thought a King was a good idea, but those little buggers take up most of the bed... when I have kids I'm toast! I might just steal their little twin beds to get a night to myself! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how Noah is trying to convince you that co-sleeping is a good thing. I'm with you: my bed = my space. Get out of my space.
    I've never co-slept, and on the rare occasion a baby has crawled into bed with me, I usually crawl out and go into theirs. Yeah. I'm cold. And heartless.
    Love your voice! You are a terrific writer!

    ReplyDelete