Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Nothing Is Ever Simple

Yesterday I bought a copy of Real Simple magazine (my People magazine didn't come this week), with the intention of taking a long hot soak in the tub - something I haven't had time to do in quite a while. I managed to fix dinner, eat dinner while it was still hot and then sneak into the bathroom unnoticed. As I slid into my deliciously warm bath I realized two things. Significant mildew had taken over my shower curtain, and I hadn't shaved my legs in a very, very long time. Both of these things attempted to disrupt the serenity of my tub experience as I thought about getting out and grabbing the all-purpose cleaner and trying to shave my legs while scrubbing the shower curtain thereby allowing me more time to soak afterwards.

In the end I decided not to worry about the shower curtain as I don't remember ever reading anywhere that someone died from mildew. I laid back and opened up my Real Simple magazine hoping that my life would be organized and efficient when I got out of the tub. About 5 minutes into my bliss a little face poked around the shower curtain. I've heard it said that company in a tub can be fun, but I don't think whoever said it had a 15-month-old splashing his toys onto their magazine. It looked as though simplifying my life via reading material wasn't going to be that simple.

After kicking the wee one out of the bathroom I decided to just shave my legs and get out. I reflected that I had already taken steps to simplify my life by buying one of those razors that has the shave gel bar on it so I didn't have to waste time lathering up my legs. How smart of me! After the first swipe with the razor I realized I really should do this more often. Thoughts of how this was similar to weed-wacking my way through the Amazon came to mind. In the interest of personal hygiene however I persevered, and was rewarded with a bathtub that looked like a cat had exploded inside it. Now in addition to mildew removal I would also need to find a little more time to clean the tub.

In summary, if I hadn't insisted on this silly notion of taking time for myself I could have continued traveling down my blissfully ignorant path and saved myself from yet more work. Ahhhh, such is life, simple or not. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment