Thursday, April 23, 2009

Moose Poop and Mosquito Bites

Hello again :)
So, our latest adventure led us to the discovery of a very cute little park practically at the end of our street. The boys and I ventured down there after all the snow had finally melted, thinking it was just a little trail that led down to the creek near our house. Well, there was no creek access, but there was a great little park with swings and a climbing structure and some monkey bars! On our way down this adorable little trail, the great Indian scout in me noticed, MOOSE POOP!! Yup, 2 piles. But of course, no moose. That's alright, I'm getting closer. You must be very, very sneaky to hunt these wiley creatures. NOT! Apparently, you can practically jump on and ride the darn things bareback if you see one, but first things first, you have to find one. (Disclaimer: My husband informs me you cannot ride them bareback, in fact, I am to stay very far away as they tend to charge people if they feel threatened. Like little 5-foot me is going to threaten a ginormous moose!).

While down there observing my offspring at play I also encountered my first Alaskan state bird, the mosquito. They are not joking people, these things will carry you off into the bush! I believe this because it is not yet May and this mosquito was already easily 5 times the size of mosquitos in Montana. I've read that as the total hours of sunlight increase, so does the size of the mosquitos. As we approach June 21st, which has approximately 20 hours of sunlight, the mosquitos will just get bigger and bigger and bigger! AHHHHHH! He's got me!! Just joking, had you going there though didn't I? :-)
Well, that's all for now folks.
P.S. If you have any extra mosquito netting lying around, send it our way!
J~

No comments:

Post a Comment