Monday, February 1, 2010

Pack Mentality

As the mother of 3 boys and only female resident of our house I have known that this day was coming. I know that I will gamely participate in and/or tolerate all sorts of male rituals from bodily noises to hunting and excessive sports exposure. On Friday I experienced my first.....Boy Scouts pack meeting, which turned out to be nothing like I expected. There were so many opportunities for humor in that gym that I may just go back next time voluntarily!

It was such a relief to see that my children are VERY normal when placed up against a slice of society. There were plenty of other children there with their clothes tucked in oddly (into boots, underwear, etc.), hair not combed and holes in their jeans. There were also children that stammered, spoke excessively about nothing and displayed a serious need for corporal punishment.

All of this was overseen by someone I can only describe as "The General." This intimidating man has to have served a long stint in the military, my guess would be the marines. He was bald, uniform incredibly crisp and he barked like a drill sargent. I kept expecting him to yell, "Sit down and shut up you little maggots!" However, in his defense, he was great with the kids! I think there might actually be a potential Santa Claus hiding under that Boy Scout uniform.

All in all, my husband and I shared many glances that conveyed, "can you believe that?" and afterwards decided to treat our kids to Dairy Queen because we had discovered that a pack meeting is a lot like the county fair and as Jeff Foxworthy said, "we're dang near royalty!"

1 comment: