Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Paint with Food

When we moved into our current house we knew the entire inside would require a fresh coat of paint.  Of course this job falls to me as I am "The Homemaker Extraordinaire."  As if.  At any rate, regardless of my skills, it's my project.  Let me just say, I have always had a fear of putting colors together.  I first noted my inability to do this well when I started dressing myself 30 years ago.  The other children usually looked pretty well put together.  I looked like a hot mess in horizontal stripes and paisley with hair that usually hadn't been combed.  This lack of color coordination was again confirmed in middle and high school when we were required to take art.  I nailed black and white, failed color collage.  Now, here I am faced with the challenge of a color scheme for an entire home.  And I am determined not to fail. 

Here's what I have learned about myself in the interim since age 4.  I like color!  I like BOLD colors, jewel tones, rich warm colors that make you want to sink into them.  I also like food.  Why is this relevant you ask? Because they name paint colors after foods!!!  I know right?? I was as excited as you are.  This changes everything!  I KNOW food.  I am good at food. 

So I headed to Lowe's and started picking through the paint chips, focusing on the colors I was drawn to.  For the stairs I found sugarcane, a very smooth but warm white.  Moving into the kitchen I found pomegranate red and crumb cookie, another soft white.  I am on a roll!! 

I am a little nervous about the living room and have held off picking those colors yet because they have to coordinate well with the kitchen, since one flows into the other.  I'm leaning towards a coffee color, coffee with lots of cream......maybe if I take my morning cup into Lowe's they could match it for me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment