Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crazy Talk

Settle down everyone - it's been a little crazy up here in Alaska and I haven't had a chance to blog. We've had hurricane force winds (gusts up to 80 mph) which knocked out our power, ripped part of our deck off and carried my sanity away , Mary Poppins-style! At any rate, here are my latest thoughts for those of you possibly going through Smiff withdrawals.

Parents say a lot of crazy stuff. Of course in our defense, this is brought on by children who do a lot of crazy stuff, that in turn....makes us crazy. My parents were famous for things like, "This hurts me more than it hurts you," and "I had to walk 2 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways, with no shoes on." I, on the other hand, only use the parental teachings handed down from the Big Guy Himself. These include handy catch phrases to explain all the things that I can't think of a scientific reason for, such as, "because I said so that's why," and "because God made it that way" (one of my mom's all time favorites).

Let's not forget the fabulous threats and bluffs that parents come up with as well, those great wittiscisms such as, "come here so I can slap your face" (AS IF!) and "do you WANT me to spank you?"

Sadly, now that I have children of my own I often find myself repeating these well-worn phrases used by my parents that I swore I'd never say. And just as I did back then, my children roll their eyes, sigh and say, "Seriously mom? That's crazy talk."

No comments:

Post a Comment